Thursday, January 2, 2014

Dark Navy Blue Manicure using Chanel

Hello gorgeous girls!!

Hope you are all well and not too hungover from last night! Again, Happy 2014!! I've decided not to post what I got for Christmas. I really didn't want it to look like I was showing off. Obviously, you'll see some of what I got in the last couple of posts I did and upcoming ones. I just didn't want it to be staring you in the face. Anyways, I will be posting my Boxing Day haul because it wasn't that insane. I'm just waiting to get my Sephora package in the mail and I'll do everything together.



This nail polish was one item I did get for Christmas from my mom. My very first Chanel nail polish!! Woo!! Actually, she got two, but I haven't tried the other one yet. The dark navy blue one is called Magic and the other one is a lovely greige, kind of similar to the Ciate Cookies N Cream tutorial I very recently did; this one's called 559 Frenzy. So after using the polish, I have to say, I didn't notice anything special about it. Now I'm not crazy into nails, so maybe I'm just weird, but I really didn't think it was above and beyond, not to say that it wasn't good, because it was. It just wasn't remarkable, I guess is the word I'm looking for. I'm also going to say that I didn't do the best job in the world on my nails, so don't hate. It was night and I didn't have a lot of light on. But I don't care if they're not perfect, so long as they're not seriously messed up.

So I've explained how I prep my nails in other posts, but I'll just go over it very briefly in case you haven't seen those posts. I use only Essie for my base and top coats and I use a few other brands for the actual nail polish colour. 





Nail Prep

To prepare my nails for a manicure, I remove any left over nail polish with nail polish remover. I moisturize my nails and hands with the Body Shop's Almond Hand and Nail Cream. I like to do this step the day before I do my nails. If I need to trim my nails, I use Tweezerman's nail trimmer and then I file my nails using the Sephora Crystal Nail File and I use their 4-step nail buffer. Then I use my Essie Apricot Cuticle Oil and I apply it to my cuticles and nails for extra hydration. Then I use my Tweezerman 2-in-1 cuticle pusher and nail cleaner to push my cuticles so I can use my Tweezerman Cuticle Snipper to trim my cuticles. Then I use the other end of the cuticle pusher to clean my nails. I wash the cuticle oil off and I'm ready to start the manicure!


Manicure Time

I always start with Essie Millionails treatment. My nails used to be super brittle in between manicures, but since I started using this and her base coat, wow my nails are so much stronger! I usually do about two coats. Next, I apply Essie Grow Stronger Base Coat to my nails. I use this particular one because my nails were very weak and brittle like I mentioned before. To make the polish dry faster, I sit with my nails facing the light bulb in my lamp. The heat makes it dry much much faster! Now, time for the colour! I'm using Chanel Nail Polish in Magic, which is a limited edition shade from their Christmas 2013 collection. I applied two coats and the colour was very opaque, even with one. Then to seal this in, I used Essie Good To Go Fast Drying Top Coat. I used two coats just to make sure I sealed everything in. Now my nails are a lovely navy blue colour!


The Manicure











Products Used

Sephora Collection Mini Crystal Nail File - 10$CAD for mini, 12$CAD for fullsize

Sephora Collection 4-Step Nail Buffer - 7$CAD

Sephora Collection 4-Step Nail Buffer - 7$CAD

Tweezerman Hot Pink Nail Rescue Kit - 24$CAD

Essie Apricot Cuticle Oil - 10$CAD

Essie Millionails Treatment - 10$CAD

Essie Grow Stronger Base Coat - 10$CAD

Chanel Nail Colour in Magic (LE) - approx. 30$CAD


Essie Good To Go Top Coat - 10$CAD







So that's the manicure! Hope you enjoyed the post and seeing me get my first Chanel polish!! I know I was pretty excited to try it. The colour is nice, not something I would have picked personally, but it's nice. I would have picked Cosmic or Black Satin, hopefully I'll get my hands on them soon! Have you ever used Chanel nail polishes? What's your opinion of them? And would you say they're better than brands like Essie and OPI?

I'll also try to let you know how long the nail polish lasts on my nails before chipping. I've had it for a couple days so far and it's doing great, but it's hard to say how they'll turn out in the long run. I'll probably post a short status on Facebook and Twitter.

Steph xo.

PS. Working on a Best of 2013 Makeup post as well as a What I Regret Not Buying in 2013. And I'll try to get my Perfect Palette Tag post up soon too.

No comments:

Post a Comment