Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Cruelty-free and Vegan Makeup Products

Hey green girls and guys,

So a few people have been asking me about cruelty-free and vegan makeup. I did some research and found out some interesting stuff. Makeup companies lie, so even if they list themselves as cruelty-free, they might not actually be cruelty-free which misleads consumers like you and me. How do we weed out the liars and discover the genuine brands?

Do your research!! It really isn't hard these days with the power of the internet. Google your favorite brands and ask the questions "is ______ cruelty-free or vegan?" and you will usually get a straight-forward answer. Check a few sites, not just one, to make sure the answer is legitimate.

PETA has a list of cruelty-free brands (including vegan brands as well) and another list that contains brands that currently aren't cruelty-free. Now I don't agree with their mission statement and some stuff that they've been doing, but they have a very extensive list and some of the information that I've verified is correct. Leaping Bunny is also a good source. Just make sure that if you're going to follow their lists, to do your own research too, because companies are constantly changing their policies, so these lists may not always be up to date. Also, the list isn't strictly makeup, it contains all companies.

And also what you have to understand is that most of the makeup brands are owned by 4 multi-national conglomerates these days, which means that a company might have a certain view on animal welfare, and when they buy a smaller brand that has another view, the parents company is likely to push their views on the small guy. Since the small guy is now owned by the big company, it's up to the big company to make the final decisions. Even if you give money to the little guy who is cruelty-free, you're ultimately giving your money to the parents company to conduct their tests on animals.

Also, companies are constantly changing their position on this matter, so if you really want to be 100% cruelty-free and/or vegan, I suggest you check occasionally to make sure that the products you're using aren't suddenly being tested on animals.

I'm going to list popular makeup brands (MAC and all of Sephora's brands) and tell you what their stance is on being cruelty-free and being vegan. I made the cut-off 30 brands when in reality there are sooo many makeup brands and I just couldn't fit everyone in nor do I have the time to research them all. So I chose 30. If your favorite brand isn't here, please do your own research so you can make an important and informed decision. In square brackets [ ] is the parent company. If the company is vegan, I will say so.

The list would get really really long if I included nail polish companies, bath companies, etc so I've limited my list to just makeup

Also, some countries, such as China, have laws where companies HAVE TO test on animals. They are legally obligated to test on animals. So I would imagine that if a product is being sold in China, then they are not cruelty-free. One example is Shiseido. They sell in China. Some people believe that Bare Minerals is not cruelty-free, but they are listed on PETA's site as cruelty-free. Though their parent company, Shiseido, is listed on PETA's website as NOT cruelty-free.

And some companies, such as Benefit, word their phrases so that it gives the impression that they are cruelty-free, but after some digging, I've discovered that they actually aren't. I was under the impression that they were cruelty-free.

Recently, Urban Decay was acquired by L'Oreal and L'oreal changed their position on animal testing to being pro animal testing. Urban Decay still insists they are cruelty-free. So it is up to you to decide if you want to buy from a brand who's parent company is not cruelty-free.

The main parent companies are: L'Oreal, Estee Lauder, LVMH, Shiseido

It's also worth it to note that Procter & Gamble as well as Johnson and Johnson and also Unilever own a lot of the drug store brand makeup and household items.


And if I made a mistake on this list, please please leave a comment so I can correct it. I don't want to mislead anyone if I've made an error. This list only covers medium-lux makeup brands, if there is a brand that is not listed here, please do your own research. A couple sites (listed above) have extensive lists that tell you both cruelty-free and non-crueltyfree brands.

Here's a checklist for determining whether a brand is cruelty-free or not.
Does the brand test on animals?
Does the parent company test on animals?
Do any 3rd parties test on animals on the company's behalf (including ingredients)?
Does the company sell in China or have plans in selling in a country where animal testing is required by law?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, that means that the brand is NOT cruelty-free.


The List:


Anastasia: Cruelty-free

Bare Escentuals / Bare Minerals [Shiseido]: Cruelty-free but parent company Shiseido is NOT cruelty-free

Becca: Cruelty-Free

Benefit [LVMH]: NOT cruelty-free

Bobby Brown [Estee Lauder]: NOT cruelty-free

Chanel: NOT cruelty-free

Clinique [Estee Lauder]: NOT cruelty-free

Dior [LVMH]: NOT cruelty-free

Givenchy [LVMH]: NOT cruelty-free

Guerlain [LVMH]: NOT cruelty-free

Kat Von D Sephora [LVMH]: NOT cruelty-free

Hourglass [I think it is privately owned]: cruelty-free and some products are Vegan

Illamasqua: Cruelty-free

Josie Maran: Cruelty-free

Korres [Johnson & Johnson is their North American distributor]: Cruelty-free and some products are Vegan, their partner Johnson & Johnson is, however, NOT cruelty-free

Lancome [L'Oreal]: NOT cruelty-free

Laura Mercier: NOT cruelty-free

Lorac: Cruelty-free

MAC [Estee Lauder]: NOT cruelty-free

Makeup Forever [LVMH]: NOT cruelty-free

NARS [Shiseido]: NOT cruelty-free

Obsessive Compulsive - OCC: Cruelty-free and Vegan

Sephora Brand [LVMH]: NOT cruelty-free

Shiseido [Shiseido]: NOT cruelty-free

Smashbox [Estee Lauder]: Cruelty-free and some products are Vegan but they are owned by a company that is NOT cruelty-free (I've heard that they are NO LONGER cruelty-free)

Stila [Estee Lauder]: Cruelty-free but they are owned by a company that is NOT cruelty-free (I've heard that they are NO LONGER cruelty-free)

Tarte: Cruelty-free and some products are Vegan

Too Faced: Cruelty-free and some products are Vegan

The Balm: I believe they are Cruelty-free

Urban Decay [L'Oreal]: Before they were purchased by L'Oreal they were Cruelty-free and some products are vegan. Now, I'm not so sure. I would think not because L'Oreal is NOT cruelty-free.

Yves St Laurent [L'Oreal]: NOT cruelty-free


I hope this post helped you to determine what brands are cruelty-free and which ones aren't. Doing this research really opened my eyes to how our makeup is being produced. While I don't own strictly cruelty-free or vegan products, I would like to make sure that at least half of my future makeup purchases are cruelty-free. And I wouldn't encourage anyone to throw away what they already have, but to make conscious decisions in the future. You don't have to suddenly buy only cruelty-free makeup, you can make a gradual move towards it. Also, by sending letter/emails to companies that have yet to comply with making their companies cruelty-free, you are letting them know that people care about this issue and it's a way of raising interest in it so that someday, maybe we can make a difference.

I just want to note that there are certain American brands, like E.L.F. and Eco-Tools that are cruelty-free, but I haven't listed them because we do not get that here in Canada, unfortunately.

If you want to learn more about this and keep up with the ever-changing company policies on this matter, check out Camila's blog, Humanely Chic.

Again, if I've made an error, please let me know.

Steph xo.

P.S. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this issue, but please be respectful of people's opinions.

And lastly, here is a photo I found on Google showing the many brands that still continue to test on animals. This may be inaccurate depending on when it was done, companies are always changing their policies.



23 comments:

  1. Stila is cruelty-free. They were owned by Estee Lauder years ago. It is not the case any longer. As far as I know, Urban Decay has remained cruelty-free. They never changed their statement despite being bought by L'Oreal unlike many companies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elena,

      Sorry for the late reply, I've been extremely busy with work and school this past month. I seen online that Stila is cruelty-free though I read a lot of dodgy emails on their part from people that have emailed them questions specifically about these issues. Which is why I wrote that in brackets, I didn't want to claim something if I wasn't completely sure. As for Urban Decay, I hear they have not changed their policy (though they did briefly consider doing business with China until everyone freaked out) but it still is worth noting that they are owned by L'Oreal. Some people feel that if they give their money to Urban Decay, then they are basically giving away their money to L'Oreal and supporting a company that they never wanted to support in the first place. Obviously this all depends on how strongly you feel about these issues. I just wanted to spread some awareness on this so that people can choose for themselves and know the full story beforehand.
      Again, sorry for the uber late reply!
      Steph xo

      Delete
    2. Stila is NOT cruelty free as of late 2013. They "test when required by law" now and they admit this publicly, but PETA has not removed them nor Smashbox.

      Delete
  2. Great article!!!
    I'm a makeup artist since many years
    www.fotolook.com
    and I'm very concerned which products I'm using. Like you said, with the internet there is no excuse anymore not to get educated.
    I was so happy this year as the EU ban got thru, there is no reason it should be world wide .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for your comment, I'm glad you liked it. I agree with you about the EU, if they can do it, I'm sure we could too! I checked out your site and wow! You are extremely talented! I hope that someday I can get to your level.

      Delete
  3. Hi
    Estée Lauder sold Stilla in 2006 and it was sold again to Lynn Tilton in 2009. They definitely don't test on animals, nor do they use ingredients that have been tested. I'm fairly sure they are on PETA's do not test.
    Laura Mercier do not test on animals but are owned by Amway. Amway have a dodgy statement that they don't test on animals unless legally required, or something like that. To me, this suggests that they sell in china.
    Korres doesn't test on animals but are now owned by Johnson & Johnson, who do.
    It's so hard to keep on top of which brands are being sold to the bigger companies, and bloody despicable that these companies who are the ones with the power to make the change if they refuse to test and sell in china, are the main culprits in continuing to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      Sorry it took me so long to write back! I read your comment and told myself I'd write back later and I forgot! I just checked and Stila is on PETA's Do Not Test on Animals List. As I mentioned in a comment above, I did see some dodgy emails on Stila's part when they were answering questions about their stance on animal testing, which is why I wrote that in brackets. I didn't want to give anyone any misinformation. I will edit my post and make it more clear. About Laura Mercier, that does sound a little iffy. And about Korres, I wasn't able to find any info about their parent company, I had no idea it's Johnson and Johnson! I'll verify that and I'll add it.
      I know, it is really hard to keep up with their changing policies and keeping track of who's buying who. Also, some companies kind of lead you on with their policies. It's worded as if they care about the environment but if you dig deep enough you find out that they do still test on animals. All we can do is be informed consumers and make the best choices we can with the information we have.
      I don't buy exclusively cruelty-free makeup personally, but I am trying to increase that number and just be all-around more self-conscious of the things I'm buying.
      Thank you so much for taking the time to write!
      Steph xo

      Delete
    2. Hi,
      Just to let you know I did some digging. Laura Mercier states on their website that they "do not test on animals unless required by government regulations". On her blog, Camila emailed Laura Mercier and asked for clarification on that sentence because China requires animal testing by law. Laura Mercier responded that they sell in China. (http://humanelychic.blogspot.ca/2013/05/laura-mercier.html).
      As for Korres, on another site an email correspondence from them says that their US division follows the same requirements the EU has (animal testing ban). Johnson and Johnson doesn't own Korres, but facilitates them being sold in North America. They are also not sold in China.
      Hope this helps!

      Delete
    3. Stila is NOT cruelty free as of late 2013. They "test when required by law" now and they admit this publicly, but PETA has not removed them nor Smashbox.

      Delete
  4. I love how you do your research, unlike others who just go by the statement on line. But I do have to ask. Did you email Lorac? I never saw an email statement from them, just their vague statement on their site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm you seem to be right. I can't remember where I got my info anymore since I wrote this a while ago but I've been checking and I can't seem to find anything online that is a legitimate answer. I checked Leaping Bunny and PETA's Do Not Test List and Lorac isn't on there but they also aren't on PETA's Do Test on Animals List.

      On Paula's Choice (they're all about being cruelty-free) website they have Lorac as being cruelty-free (http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-product-reviews/animal-testing/)

      But at the same time I see a lot of people that read Lorac's statement and don't realize how vague it is so they wind up thinking that they are cruelty-free. That happened to me with Benefit, when I read their statement I thought the same thing and later found out I was wrong and that I had been giving people wrong information.

      So this one is a little bit of a tougher call to make! Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

      Delete
    2. I take huge issue with Paula's Choice web list because they list a bunch or brands that sell to China. I e-mailed them to let them know their list was incorrect and never got so much as an acknowledgment...but I guess what else would you expect from a company egotistical enough hat they include their own cosmetics on the "best of" lists.

      Delete
  5. Vegan makeup products are cosmetics that do not use ingredients derived from — or tested on — animals. Concerns about animal abuse by the cosmetic industry has created a growing market for cruelty free products. Vegan cosmetic options include eye shadow, blush, lipstick and foundation; even vegan nail polish is becoming increasingly available.
    vegan make up

    ReplyDelete


  6. Vegan cosmetics refer to the makeups made with natural and organic ingredients. They do not contain any animal ingredients or any by products. They have never been tested on animals neither.
    vegan makeup brands

    ReplyDelete
  7. It depends on the brand. I have vegan makeup brushes by Too Faced and they are amazing. I have synthetic brushes from Urban Decay and I really don't like them. You just have to find vegan makeup brushes that work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it a best collection of vegan cosmetics and for Vegan Makeup Products than we get in lost cot ideas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tarte cosmetics isn't cruelty free anymore
    Stilla isn't cruelty free and was told by them that they aren't vegan
    Sugarpill is cruelty free i spoke to Amy Doan
    Limecrime is officially vegan and cruelty free
    Rockeresque is Vegan and cruelty free

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vegan makeup reference the makeups designed with certified organic components. They can't include things like virtually any creature components or perhaps virtually any through merchandise. They need by no means ended up analyzed in dogs nor.
    Vegan Makeup

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vegan cosmetics research the particular makeups constructed with organic and natural elements. They can not contain any man or woman elements as well as any simply by merchandise. They have got certainly not found themselves tried inside puppies neither of them ones.
    Vegan Cosmetics

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vegan makeup guideline the actual makeups designed with natural and organic parts. They cannot include any guy or maybe women parts in addition to any simply by solutions. They have with regard to zero purpose appeared pursued internal house animals neither of which which.
    Vegan Makeup

    ReplyDelete
  13. hello. i am concerned just this specific product. can u plz tell me is it useable or not as a Muslim.
    http://www.makeupforever.com/int/en-int/make-up/artistic/liquid-pigments/chromatic-mix-water-base?sku=6369

    ReplyDelete
  14. http://www.makeupforever.com/int/en-int/make-up/artistic/liquid-pigments/chromatic-mix-water-base?sku=6369
    can u plz tell me that above link product is halal? it contain glycerin i am concerned about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is really great and nice article, It is very helpful for me....

    Vegan makeup products online
    b12 patches online

    ReplyDelete