Tuesday, February 25, 2014

MAC A Fantasy of Flowers Purpley/Pink Spring Makeup Tutorial + OOTD

Hello everyone!

This is my first makeup tutorial in quite a while. I chose to go with a complete MAC look today, meaning I tried to use MAC products as much as possible, but I had to use my MUFE foundation and powder, since I don't own any by MAC anymore!


And before we get started, I'm seriously OBSESSED with this nail colour. I'll be posting about it tomorrow. Here's a hint, I posted about it yesterday and it's by Essie. It was introduced in her Fall 2013 collection.

For this look, I'm using two products that recently launched in MAC's A Fantasy Of Flowers Collection. I'm using the Mineralize Eyeshadow in Great Beyond and a Cremesheen Glass in Pagoda (which is a repromote, and permanent). I've mentioned in my previous post (the haul post) that I thought the pigmentation was lacking in the Mineralize Eyeshadow in Great Beyond. I felt that the colours didn't stand out on their own once applied. I also felt that the darkest shade in the pan, the dark grey, was the worst. It was not pigmented at all and it was a disaster to apply because I had to go over my liner so many times that fallout became a huge problem. This is something that I would definitely not repurchase. It looks so pretty in the pan, but isn't so great when applied. I would say avoid this one and save your money for a better product instead. The Cremesheen Glass is a repromote in this collection and is permanent. I just picked up Pagoda recently and I have to say I like it for what it is. The entire Cremesheen range are known to be on the sheer side (kind of like the new Urban Decay Naked Lipgloss line). Pagoda is a sheer pink with sparkle. It's meant to enhance the natural colour of your lips and throw in some added sparkle. What it is not, is a pigmented lipgloss. So depending on your expectations, you may be disappointed if you were expecting it to have a colour of its own.



I also decided to try out some of their primers from their Prep + Prime line. I've never tried anything from their Prep and Prime line, so I was excited about finally doing it. I had gotten some samples quite a while ago and I just sort of forgot about them. So now that I finally dug them out, I forgot what their uses were and didn't have time to go researching them online. So yes, I know, I used it wrong. I used the Prep and Prime Vibrancy Eye as an eyelid base instead of an under-eye primer. It did alright as an eyelid base, kept it wasn't that great for blending. I just didn't like the texture of it while I was blending. I will definitely try it again, this time under my eyes, and I'll give a review for that product. I used the Prep and Prime Skin as a face primer. It was okay, I didn't think it was great. I found that some dry spots appeared after foundation and powder, and usually I don't get much of a problem. So I don't think it was moisturizing enough. My makeup did stay in place all day and the foundation applied well over the primer. I think it was good, it did the job decently, but there are better primers out there than this one.

So let's get into the tutorial bit, yes?

MAC A Fantasy Of Flowers purpley/pinkey Spring Makeup Tutorial


I started by priming my eyes with MAC Prep + Prime Vibrancy Eye. Yes I know NOW that it's meant to prime your under-eye area and not your eyelid. But I'm not gonna lie about what I used, or redo an entire look because of a silly thing like that. Next, I used my Mineralize Eyeshadow in Great Beyond. I started with the top right colour (light purple) and I applied it to my lid using a MAC 239 Brush. Next, I took the top left colour (darker purple) and I applied it to my crease and outer V. Then I blended it out. I used a MAC 217 Brush. Next I used the bottom left (purpley white) colour to highlight under my brow and I also blended out the crease colour using a Sephora Pro Crease Brush. I went back in with my blending brush and dark purple shade and deepened the crease. Then to line my eyes, I used the bottom right (dark grey) colour with a Sephora Pro Angled Liner Brush. It's not very pigmented, so you'll have to go over it a few times. I also lined my bottom lash line with the same colour and brush. Then I filled in my top and bottom waterlines with Kohl Power Eye Pencil in Feline. Then I applied mascara, I used MAC Zoomlash in Zoomblack. The last step for me is to fill in my eyebrows, I used Benefit's Brow Zings in Light.


For my face, I started off by using MAC Prep + Prime Skin and I applied it to my entire face as a primer. Then I used MAC Pro Longwear Concealer in NW20 and a Sephora Pro Concealer Brush to apply it to my under eyes. Then I used Makeup Forever's HD Foundation in 110 and a Sephora Pro Stippling Brush to apply it. I prefer this method because it doesn't leave any lines or streaks, and it gives an air-brushed finish. Then I use my MAC Studio Finish Concealer in NW20 to cover any redness or acne I especially want to cover up. I use my fingers to apply it. Then I use my Makeup Forever HD Powder and my MUFE HD Kabuki Brush to apply the powder all over my face to set the makeup. I start by contouring my cheeks using my Too Faced Bronzed and Poreless (all-time favourite bronzer) using my MAC 168 Brush. I contour the hollows of my cheeks, temples, and perimeter of my face. Then I apply MAC Powder Blush in Dame using my Too Faced Powder Pouf Brush. I start at the apples and I blend out and down into the contour. I like to take my Kabuki Brush and blend it all together. Next, I take my MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Lightscapade and a clean Too Faced Powder Pouf Brush to apply it to the tops of my cheekbones, down the nose, forehead, cupid's bow, and top of my brow arches. I've only recently started using Lightscapade and it's become my favourite highlighter. Next, apply MAC Cremesheen Glass in Pagoda and lastly, give yourself a few good spritzes of MAC Fix+ for long-lasting wear!



Eyes

MAC Prep + Prime Vibrancy Eye
MAC Mineralize Eyeshadow in Great Beyond (LE)
MAC Kohl Power Eye Pencil in Feline
MAC Zoomlash Mascara in Zoomblack
Benefit Brow Zings in Light




Face

MAC Prep + Prime Skin
MAC Pro Longwear Concealer in NW20
MAC Studio Finish Concealer in NW20
MUFE HD Foundation in 110
MUFE HD Powder
MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Lightscapade
MAC Powder Blush in Dame
Too Faced Bronzed and Poreless
MAC Fix+




Lips

MAC Cremesheen Glass in Pagoda






Products Used



MAC Mineralize Eyeshadow in Grey Beyond (LE)

MAC Mineralize Eyeshadow in Great Beyond (LE) - 25$CAD

MAC Kohl Power Eye Pencil in Feline - 19$CAD

MAC Zoomlash in Zoomblack - fullsize is 19$CAD

Benefit Brow Zings in Light

Benefit Brow Zings in Light - 36$CAD

MAC Pro Longwear Concealer in NW20 - 23$CAD

MAC Studio Finish Concealer in NW20

MAC Studio Finish Concealer in NW20 - 22$CAD

Makeup Forever HD Foundation in 110 

Makeup Forever HD Foundation in 110 - 49$CAD

Makeup Forever HD Powder

Makeup Forever HD Powder - 39$CAD, mini is 22$CAD

MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Lightscapade

MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Lightscapade - 35$CAD

MAC Powder Blush in Dame

MAC Powder Blush in Dame - 25$CAD in a compact, 21$CAD just the pan

Too Faced Bronzed and Poreless

Too Faced Bronzed and Poreless - 38$CAD

MAC Fix+ - mini 12$, fullsize is 25$CAD

MAC Cremesheen Glass in Pagoda - 23$CAD





Swatches:
MAC Mineralize Eyeshadow in Great Beyond (LE), 4 colours are swatched
MAC Kohl Power Eye Pencil in Feline
MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Lightscapade
MAC Powder Blush in Dame
Too Faced Bronzed and Poreless
MAC Cremesheen Glass in Pagoda








I hope you enjoyed the look! It's a little more toned-down than what I usually go for, but I thought it was quite beautiful! I went soft on the eyes and the face, and seeing how pinks and purples are on trend at the moment, this would have made a killer valentine's makeup look...... if I only had a valentine to dress up for!! Normally I don't do OOTDs, or Outfit Of The Day, but I felt like I had to show off this sweater. Every time I go into Forever 21 I feel like I have to spend at least two hours in there going through the racks to find what I came to buy. Like this black sweater with the should studs pictures above.


Here's another pic so you can see the shoulder studs better. It's a wool knit sweater, so it's quite warm. And trust me, I needed it today. It got really cold again up in Montreal.


So here's what I wore today:

Bandana Hairband: Claire's
Cat Necklace: Gift
Spikey Hoop Earrings: Ardene
Stud Sweater: Forever 21
Ripped Jeans: Dynamite
I wore my winter boots today... I think they're Pajar? Dunno.. my mom bought them.




So I hope you liked that random OOTD and the Makeup Look!! I'm curious to know, which was your favourite product out of MAC's A Fantasy Of Flowers Collection? While the Mineralize Eyeshadow in Great Beyond didn't do much for me, I'm curious to know how the rest of the eyeshadows in this collection fared. The Cremesheen Glass lived up to its expectations... it had a hint of colour but kept it soft. I've been in love with my Mineralize Skinfinish in Lightscapade since I first bought it. I'm obsessed now. It deserves its own post that's how amazing it is. You can tell from the pic that I've used it a lot since buying it. So let me know... what was your fav product from this collection and which product did you love most about this look?


P.S. Here's a little sneak peak (above) of tomorrow's nail post again. I'm obsessed with this colour. Photos cannot do it justice, it's duo chrome, so it's much better seen in person than photo.

Steph xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment