Sunday, April 28, 2013

Curly Hair Using T3 Single Pass Hair Straightener

Hello lovelies.

[My camera ran out of batteries before I could get all the shots. This is being published a tad bit later than I had originally intended.]



So I bet you're all like "omg how did she do that to her hair?!?!?". The answer is simple. My new T3 Single-Pass straightener curled my hair, as ironic as that sounds. There is a very specific technique to curling your hair, you need a lot of time and patience to get it right. I would not suggest attempting this for the first time when you have somewhere important to go. It took me about 3 hours (breaks included) to get it done. I've only ever played around with curling twice, and this is the first time that I fully finished it off with every strand curled, hairsprayed, and in place. Since I'm new at this, I don't feel like it's really my place yet to tell you how to do the curls and look fabulous. But I will tell you what I did to achieve these particular curls.

T3 SinglePass - 180$CAD

I've only had my T3 for about a week, I got it for my 23rd birthday. It has 5 heat settings, which gives you control over the temperature so you don't end up frying your hair on high. The on/off switch is located inside between the plates. It heats up really fast. It can heat up to 450F. So it looks like the Alterna was a good choice. It straightens really nicely and gives your hair a nice texture. It's almost as if its glossy. It doesn't feel like it's damaging my hair. You only need to pass it through once, like its name suggests. But I have fine straight hair, so obviously it only needs one pass. It curls extremely well (you need to have skill to do this). Hair doesn't get caught. The power cord is a swivel cord so it doesn't tangle. So far, so good; I'm really liking this straightener. Obviously, it is more on the high end side, but it is worth it if you are buying a straightener for more than just straightening. If you have naturally straight or close to straight and all you want to do is straighten, then I would buy a cheap pharmacy straightener. I would only suggest buying an expensive straightener like this if you are going to be using it to style, straighten, curl, wave, whatever else you can do with a straightener that I don't yet know about. And if you have really thick and curly hair, you know you need a higher end straightener to straighten your hair.

The verdict: I'm really happy I got the T3. I was debating on getting the CHI, dreaming of the GHD cuz I kept seeing a ton of positive reviews, and heard good things about the T3 and a few other brands. I haven't owned a straightener since my mid teens. I'm happy I picked this straightener. So far it's doing a fantastic job. I just hope it stays this way.



But before we start, we're gonna need a few simple tools. Hair spray (Finesse is the absolute max hold hairspray), those clips that the popular girls stole from their salons, those big salon clips that hairdressers use to separate sections of hair, a comb, a brush, and a thermal protection spray. The lady at Sephora suggested my mom buy the Alterna thermal protection spray, so she went with it. Neither of us knew which brand to get. This one seems like a good pick, protecting up to 450F. That is really hot.

hair dresser clips, combs

Finesse hairspray

Alterna Thermal Protective Spray


How to do those beautiful curls: Brush your hair. Spray a thermal protection spray all over your hear. Comb it through. Section your hair, you want to start with the bottom. Take a strand of hair (not too big of course!). Comb it. Clamp the iron onto your hair. Rotate your wrist AWAY from your body. You want to make a full 360. The piece of hair from the straightener should be facing down. Make sure you keep your hair between the plates. The slower you pull, the smaller the curls. For a more wavier look, pull faster. If you did this properly, you should get a nice curl. Help it along and make sure it's going the right way. If you're happy, hairspray this curl and grab your next piece of hair and continue the process. If you're not happy, straighten your hair, spray again with thermal protection, comb it through, and wait a couple mins for it to dry. YOU SHOULD NEVER STRAIGHTEN DAMP OR WET HAIR. EVER. This will literally kill your hair. Do not do it!! It's okay if you don't achieve the perfect curl right away. It took me quite a few tries to get the technique down. Just don't give up. When you get to the top, you want to pay extra attention to the front. Before curling each top piece, backcomb it so  that it will give you some extra volume. After you've done all your curls, put your head upside down and hairspray the crap outta it. At this point, you should be looking fantastic. If you look like a hot mess, don't be discouraged, try again another day. I looked like a hot mess the first time I tried curling with a straightener. Just remember: time, patience and perseverance.



This isn't the only technique out there for curling hair with a straightener. Instead of rotating the wrist away from your body, try rotating it towards yourself. This will make your curls go in the opposite direction but it will also have a different effect where it starts on your head.



For wavy/mermaid hair: When you go over a piece of hair, you want to rotate away from the body slightly, drag it down slowly, then stop and rotate towards the body, drag it down slowly, and keep repeating. You want to constantly be rotating your wrist. It is this that will give you the waves. I tried this on a piece of hair and I really like the outcome. Of course I'll still need some more practise!!



So that is all I know so far about curling with a straightener. I'm still practising my curls and experimenting with different types of curls and waves. When I get better I'd feel more comfortable making a video demonstrating how to achieve the perfect curl. lol. It won't be a perfect curl, but it'll be a damn nice curl!



Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed curling my hair today!!
So do you prefer me with straight hair or curly hair?
Are you impressed with the T3's ability to curl hair?
Do you have any other tricks or tips for curling?
Show me your pictures of your curls using a straightener. I'd love to see them.

I'll be back to makeup tomorrow.

Love Love Love

Steph xo.


[Disclaimer: All products were bought and paid for by me. All opinions are my own.]

No comments:

Post a Comment