Monday, May 20, 2013

60's Mod Makeup Look using MAC and a Foundation Fail Update

Hello everyone!!

This look was supposed to be for Fashion Friday but I did it tonight instead because I had a lot going on this week. I really love how this look turned out except for me putting too much eyelash glue and the glue melting off my eyeliner!!! Ugh!!! It's only my second time using false lashes so I still have a lot to learn. So you don't need to point out the obvious, I'm perfectly aware that the inner corners of both eyes have black liner leaking all over my lid and everywhere. The glue got into my eyes and I started tearing up and it made a big mess. Was not in the mood to redo the entire look so whatever, just deal with it and pretend it isn't there. I find that for this look you really do need to use false lashes, it adds to the drama and really finishes the look. The eyes are slightly harder to do so I will include a little paragraph under the products I used for eyes telling you how to do it. In retrospect, I should have put mascara on my bottom lashes but it's too late now. They're really really bare lol. I also really liked the MAC blush that I used. I've been on the hunt for a blush that I can wear with a blue-toned pink lipstick or lipgloss and this is it!! The blush is really light and applies really well onto the skin. It looks really good on me and I'm really liking it. My mom got a sample of it a while back and didn't like it and gave it to me and I'm really glad she did. I'm going to buy a fullsize eventually.

Foundation Fail Update
So that actually is the colour of NW18. What the beep. It's so dark it's ridiculous and my NW20 stuff is LIGHTER than NW18. It makes no sense unless they redid their entire foundation colours???!?!? Click here for the original post about this problem, with swatches and everything.

So back to 60's mod...



Remember this face chart from a while back?


Yeaaah so do I lol. While I didn't use everything that I had listed on here, it's pretty damn close. It was more of an inspiration drawing than anything and this is what it looks like in real life. If this is a bit too dramatic for you, you can always look at the right half of the face chart, which is an everyday mod look using two eyeliners, one white and one black.



Hope you enjoy this look! It is a bit more theatrical looking and obviously not an everyday kinda look but it was a lot of fun to do and I really want to get into more artistic/theatrical makeup because the possibilities really are endless.

Fashion Friday - 60's Mod Makeup Look using MAC




Eyes:

Too Faced Shadow Insurance
MAC eyeshadows in:

  • White Frost
  • Electra
  • Carbon
  • Shroom
Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner in Black
Too Faced Perfect Eyes in Perfect Black
Sephora + Pantone Universe Eyeliner in Silver
Too Faced Lashgasm Mascara
Sephora False Eyelashes in Showstopper
Duo Glue




The first thing you need to do is prime your eyes. Take a regular black eyeliner and trace out your crease. When you open your eyes, you want this line to be hidden and showing slightly on top. Redo as many times as you need to. Add the little flicks on each side of your eye. You want to apply White Frost and Electra onto just your lid, only. Electra helps the sparkles in White Frost to adhere onto your eyelid. If you have sparkle/glitter glue primer, use this instead. Apply up to the line you just drew on your crease. Take liquid liner (or gel) and retrace the line on your crease and the flicks. Line your upper lashes and do the flicks. Now take Carbon and apply it above the line in your crease all the way to the inner eye. Don't pass the line. Now take a blending blush and Shroom to soften the harsh black lines and apply it under your brow to highlight. Blend it well. At this point I go over anything that needs to extra attention and I take a tiny brush to bring the silver between the lines in the inner and outer corners of the eyes. Now's the time to get rid of any fallout. I prefer to do my eyes first and then my face so now I would do all my face makeup and come back to the bottom lashes after. Take a silver liner and line the bottom waterline. Take that liquid liner again and line the bottom lash line, doing the flicks. Take a black eyeliner and tightline the upper waterline. Apply mascara and false lashes. All done!

If you don't have White Frost, use a shimmer white color.
Instead of Electra, use a shimmer silver
Instead of Carbon, use a very pigmented matte black
Instead of Shroom, use either a matte or shimmer very natural looking beige color


Face:

Too Faced Primed and Poreless Face Primer
MAC Select Cover-Up Concealer in NW20 (for undereyes)
MAC Studio Finish Concealer in NW20 (for blemishes)
MUFE HD Foundation in 110
MUFE HD Powder
Benefit High Beam
MAC Cremeblend Blush in So Sweet So Easy
Too Faced Bronzed and Poreless




I applied all my face products like I would normally do: undereye concealer, then foundation, then blemish concealer. I contour using bronzer, applying to the hairline all around the face, onto the jawline. I also use the "3" method. Suck in the cheeks and apply bronzer slighter higher than that line you get, on the cheekbone. Apply to the chin and down the nose as well. Apply blush onto your cheeks. Then highlight the cheekbones, chin, corners of the eyebrows and the bow of the lips.


Lips:

MAC Studio Finish Concealer
MAC Cremeblend Blush in So Sweet So Easy
Too Faced Lip Injection Extreme




Apply concealer to your lips and then apply So Sweet So Easy and blend well. When you have the desired amount of color, apply Lip Injection on top.

OR
NARS Turkish Delight (anything nude/pink really)



Products Used:
MAC eyeshadows from left to right, top to bottom: (18$CAD each)
White Frost, Electra, Shroom, Carbon

Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner in Black (mini shown, fullsize is 26$CAD)

Sephora + Pantone Universe eyeliner in Silver (part of the set shown below)

Sephora + Pantone Universe Foiled Waterproof Eyeliner Set (originally 30$CAD, on sale for 15$CAD now, not sure if it's still available)

Too Faced Perfect Eyes in Perfect Black - 25$CAD

Too Faced Lashgasm Mascara - 28$CAD

Sephora Fake Eyelashes in Showstopped - 12$CAD


Benefit High Beam - 32$CAD

MAC Cremeblend Blush in So Sweet So Easy - 25$CAD

Too Faced Bronzed and Poreless Pore Perfecting Bronzer - 38$CAD

Too Faced Bronzed and Poreless

Too Faced Lip Injection Extreme - 39$CAD

From left to right:
MAC eyeshadows: Shroom, White Frost, Electra, Carbon
Sephora + Pantone Universe Eyeliner in Silver
Too Faced Perfect Eyes in Perfect Black
Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner in Black
Benefit High Beam
MAC Cremeblend Blush
Too Faced Bronzed and Poreless


So that is the look!! I really hope you enjoyed it. It isn't your typical 60's mod look, I decided to have a little bit of fun with it and do something really dramatic and over the top. I also wanted to stay true to the look and not go too heavy on the blush and bronzer though maybe I overdid the lip. Back then the face was very natural and so were the lips.

Please let me know what you thought of this look. Would you wear it if you were doing a 60's mod makeup look? What did you think of the MAC blush? I personally really like it. Did you like the way and method I used to do this look? Do you want me to do more fashion looks like this based off celebrities, eras, etc??



Coming up in recent posts:
Empties & Extras: I've finally saved 5 empty containers so expect a post real soon!
Makeup Basics Page: just adding the finishing touches and it should be up and ready soon
More Reviews: I've been lacking in the review department so I'll get on that
Most Wanted: summer 2013 products
Top5: I'll tell you my top5 picks for each makeup category

Also, if there is anything that you would like me to post about, feel free to let me know. It can be anything, from a certain makeup look to questions about stuff that I use.

Thanks for reading and til tomorrow!!

Steph xo.

[Disclaimer: All products were bought and paid for by me. All opinions are my own.]

No comments:

Post a Comment