Monday, May 13, 2013

Fashion Look using Too Faced Smokey Eye Palette and NARS products plus MAC Foundation Fail

Hello glamour dolls!!

Today I'm going to show you a Fashion Look using Too Faced's Smokey Eye palette. I'm using the "fashion" row of eyeshadows. It is a silver/purple look and I'm using NARS blush and lip pencil to complement the eyes. This is obviously more of a night look but I have worn this in the day with a lighter lipgloss because I love the colors. If you don't want such a bold lip I'll suggest a lighter color lipgloss to wear, but I think this lip color looks fantastic with these eyes. The lip pencil is a red/pink color. It isn't something I would have normally thought of buying. It was Sephora's 500 point perk by NARS and I took it because I wanted the Orgasm blush. But the lip pencil turned out to be a lovely color on me. The NARS Super Orgasm blush that I'm using is a mini sized that was bought at Sephora. They had the product over by the cash where they have a bunch of other products as well. That's usually where they sell minis and stuff. It was also my first time ever in my whole life using fake lashes, so they might look a little weird and they might not be 100% straight. The reason I've never used fake lashes before is because I have long and full natural lashes so I never needed to wear fake lashes. I bought a few packs recently and thought it would be fun to try out for more crazy fashion inspired looks. I'm not really used to using them, I found it really annoying to get them on and the inner corners kept coming off. I guess I'm just not used to the feel of them yet. My eyes were also a bit watery and the glue has taken off all the eyeshadow underneath, which required some fixing up when the corners came off.




If you want to check out the "classic" look from the Too Faced Smokey Eye palette, you can see it here.


MAC Foundation Disaster!!

So I will show you this look after I tell you about the disaster I had when I tried out one of the new foundation shades that MAC released. I find that NW20 is a bit too dark for me and that NW15 is ghost white on me. So I should be in between these two colors, right? Wrong! I got a sample recently of a new shade, NW18 in their Studio Fix Fluid and I tried it on today to do this look and it was so horrible that I ended up washing it off and putting on the foundation that I normally wear, Makeup Forever's HD Foundation in 110. I don't know if I got a bad batch, or the wrong color, or if it is actually supposed to look like this but it looked orange/bronzey on me. It was way too dark for my skin. I compared it to NW20 that I have in Studio Fix Powder and they looked way different. I'll include a picture with a few swatches of different foundations and concealers that I have by MAC as well as the foundation that I use by MUFE so you can see what I'm talking about. Do let me know if I received the wrong color, or if it is actually supposed to look like that. I'm planning on going back to the MAC store and comparing NW15, NW18 and NW20 together. I was really disappointed. I really thought that this would be my color but it looked so horrible. I really couldn't believe it. So please let me know what you think about this!


From left to right:
MUFE HD Foundation in 110, MUFE HD Foundation in 115(slightly higher), MAC Select Cover-Up Concealer in NW20
MAC Studio Finish Concealer in NW20, MAC Studio Fix Fluid in supposedly NW18


Looking at these 5 swatches, MUFE HD Foundation in 110 is the lightest color. MUFE HD Foundation in 115 looks almost the same as MAC Select Cover-Up Concealer in NW20 and MAC Studio FInish Concealer in NW20. MAC Studio Fix in NW18 is the darkest color. I'm really starting to think that this was an error on the makeup artist's part. This color cannot be NW18. Obviously, I will keep you all in the loop. I'm going to go back to the MAC store and obtain samples like I mentioned above and I will swatch them and compare them when I repost about this.

And now, the look!


Too Faced Smokey Eye palette in "Fashion"




Eyes:

Too Faced Shadow Insurance primer
Too Faced Smokey Eye palette

  • In A Flash: apply to the inner half of the eye. Extend to the crease. Line the inner half of the bottom lash line doing a relatively thick line.
  • Smoking Jacket: apply to the outer half of the eye but only on the lid. blend the two colors together, you don't want a stark line. Line the outer half of the bottom lashline, but do a thinner line than In A Flash. You will be putting Smolder underneath Smoking Jacket.
  • Smolder: apply to the crease. apply on top of Smoking Jacket and stop once you get to In A Flash. Make sure that it blends into In A Flash. Line the outer lashline with Smolder underneath Smoking Jacket.
Too Faced Perfect Eyes Eyeliner in Perfect Black
Too Faced Lashgasm Mascara (make sure to put mascara on your bottom lashes too)
Sephora Fake Eyelashes in Showstopper
Duo Fake Eyelash Glue




Face:

MUFE HD Primer
MAC Select Cover-Up Concealer in NW20
MUFE HD Foundation in 110
MUFE HD Powder
Benefit High Beam
NARS Super Orgasm blush
Too Faced Bronzed and Poreless bronzer




Lips:

NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil in New Lover
OR for a softer lip color use
NARS Super Orgasm Lipgloss





Products Used:


Too Faced Smokey Eye Palette - 45$CAD

Too Faced Smokey Eye Palette
Fashion row was used for this look

Too Faced Perfect Eyes in Perfect Black - 25$CAD

Too Faced Lashgasm Mascara - 28$CAD

Benefit High Beam - 32$CAD

NARS Super Orgasm (deluxe size shown, regular size is 32$CAD)

Too Faced Bronzed and Poreless - 38$CAD

Too Faced Bronzed and Poreless

NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil in New Lover (deluxe size shown, regular size is 32$CAD)

From left to right:
Too Faced Smokey Eye palette in In A Flash, Smoking Jacket, Smolder
Benefit High Beam
NARS Super Orgasm blush
Too Faced Bronzed and Poreless
NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil in New Lover
NARS Super Orgasm Lipgloss


Now I hope you all enjoyed this look! I really wanted to do something more fun instead of the usual neutral day looks which can get a little bit boring after a while. Please do let me know if you want to see more fun looks like this. I will be doing that 60's mod look this week for Fashion Friday, that I promise you. Unless I get even more sick than I still am now. I'm slowly getting better though.




Oh and I tried out doing the mermaid waves with my T3 straightener. I only did a few pieces of hair to try out the technique and this is what it looked like.



And this is the straightener:





So do you girls like it? Should I do my whole head like that? And do you know any other straightener techniques other than the curl and the mermaid wave? Please do let me know if you do and link a video if you can. And if you like the makeup I'm wearing here, you can see my post on it here.




Please leave me some comments, I want to know your thoughts on these questions. What did you think of the fashion look? Would you do it or is it too bold? Do you like the NARS velvet lip pencils? What is your favorite shade? Which is your favorite Too Faced palette of all time? What techniques do you use to get your fake lashes on? Do you like NARS famous Super Orgasm and Orgasm blushes?

And finally, what did you think about that horrible MAC foundation color? Do you think they made a mistake and gave me the wrong color or is it really dark like that?

Please let me know what is up with that!! I know I promised a nails video yesterday but I just remembered that the kit I wanted to use I'm giving one to my friend for her birthday so I didn't want to spoil the surprise. I'm also working for the next two weeks and I don't want to ruin my nails either. I think I might use the Naked nail set by Urban Decay and do something more casual.


So that's it for now, take care everyone!!

Steph xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment